“Maybe the most important promises that you ever make are not promises to someone else, but they’re promises to yourself.” – John C. Maxwell
In one of his “Minute with Maxwell” videos, renowned author and speaker John Maxwell speaks about the word promises, touching on the critical importance of not just making promises, but keeping them.
He then encourages his viewers to sit down and make a list of promises to themselves. Maxwell explains, “Because that’s what becomes your ‘north star,’ that’s what guides you. That’s what keeps you steady when other people are not.”
What are some promises you have made to yourself? Have you kept them? What are some promises that you need to make to yourself?
Here are some promises you might consider:
- I will be a person of integrity who is always worthy of trust
- I will own my mistakes and not place blame or make excuses
- I will honor other people’s time as valuable as my own
- I will treat all people with respect no matter what
- I will never put wealth, glory, or power over love, joy, and peace
Now it’s your turn. Take the time to sit down and write out a list of promises to yourself. Then keep them.