For some people, making connections and building relationships comes naturally. But for others, building and maintaining great relationships can be difficult and often feels like a chore. Relationships – even the most enjoyable ones – require a lot of work. For those not sure exactly how to go about it or even where to start, networking can seem like an arduous or impossible task.
So how do the truly great networkers do it? What are their secrets? Here are 7 strategies, gathered from 7 Key Habits of Super Networkers by Lewis Howes at Entrepreneur Magazine:
- Ask insightful questions and pay attention to detail
- Identify ways you can help others and quickly take action to do so
- Listen to your networking partners’ stories to better understand them
- Be more personable by sharing a memorable and unique fact about yourself
- Take notes after each networking event so you don’t forget something important
- Make and deliver on small promises in order to build a reputation of trustworthiness
- Keep relationships fresh by consistently adding value to your top contacts
Networking is a critical necessity, no matter who you are. Building positive and lasting relationships not only allows you to draw upon those connections as you advance in your career, but it can also bring immeasurable personal fulfillment and enjoyment as well. When done right, networking allows you to enjoy countless benefits while serving and adding value to others.
Don’t take networking for granted. It doesn’t just happen on it’s own! Utilize these 7 strategies to become a better and more effective networker!
What networking strategies have worked for you? Leave a comment below!