Creativity is critical to our current and future personal, professional and organizational success.
It is a fact that most people, including most leaders, talk a good game regarding creativity. However, very few people truly embrace, encourage and incent people, on a daily basis, to expand, explore and exploit their creative potential. In fact, most people do just the opposite!
If it is true that creativity is critical to our current and future success, why do most people, including most leaders, fail to embrace, encourage and incent creativity on a daily basis?
The latest issue of Fast Company addresses this important topic as it features the 100 Most Creative People in Business. In his Editor’s column, Robert Safian discusses the fact that creativity is not only fun, but also elicits significant fear as well as significant real and perceived risk. Therein lies the problem! Most people allow fear and real or perceived risk to dominate their actions, and therefore their accomplishments and results.
Safian summarizes 4 important lessons from the 2011 Fast Company 100 Most Creative People in Business:
- Creativity can come from anywhere.
• Those who encourage and embrace creativity know that this is a powerful and very positive reality.• Those who fear the potential ramifications and risks of creativity are blown away. Creativity can come from anywhere? Nowhere is safe!
- Creativity can solve problems that seem insurmountable.
• The 2011 Fast Company listing of the 100 Most Creative People in Business demonstrates this reality over and over. With creativity, virtually any problem is surmountable.
- There is a limitless supply of creativity.
• Those who encourage and embrace creativity love this reality. A limitless supply! Wow, what a wonderful reality!• Those who fear the potential ramifications and risks of creativity are blown away by this one. A limitless supply? Wow! Talk about overwhelming fear and risk!
- Creativity implies reinvention.
• Those who encourage and embrace creativity are ready, willing and even anxious to proactively pass through creative entrances to new and potentially far greater opportunities to serve and add value.• Those who fear the potential ramification and risks of creativity are literally scared to death by this reality! The fear and risks of reinvention are literally frightening and overwhelming.
I have a very important question for you. Please do not answer before examining this question based on your actions… not your emotions, not your feelings and not on how you want to see yourself. Answer the question based on the cold hard facts of your past decisions and actions.
Do you truly embrace, encourage and incent people, on a daily basis, to expand, explore and exploit their creative potential? Don’t just ask yourself… ask people in all areas of your life… people you trust and respect who will be totally honest and truthful with you. It is extremely difficult to see yourself as you really are. That is why feedback is so important.
Creativity is crucial to your future! Creativity is crucial to the future of your family, friends, colleagues and all others you touch and serve. Do you truly embrace, encourage and incent people, on a daily basis, to expand, explore and exploit their creative potential?
Read the latest issue of Fast Company. The issue is full of great inspiration for those who want to be more creative, effective and successful.