Creating a Culture of Excellence – Three Steps to Take Now!

Last week, Leadership Excellence: The Ultimate Strategy for Success, featured an interesting and informative article titled Creating a Culture of Excellence.  The article was written by Jason Daley and was published in the March 2010 issue of Entrepreneur Magazine.

As I stated last week, “If you are a leader who truly wants to improve and hone your leadership skills, I recommend reading this article.  You cannot help but find at least a few good ideas to evaluate and possibly implement.”

A side bar to the Entrepreneur article is also worth thought and action.  The side bar article, entitled Three Steps To Take Now, is based on the soon-to-be published book, Beyond the Wall of Resistance: Why 70% of All Changes Fail – and What to Do About It.  The author, Rick Maurer, offers advice on engaging your employees in the pursuit of excellence:

  • Some people will always be suspicious of change.  Ignore them.  If you put your attention on converting the 5 percent who aren’t going along, you’re missing opportunities with the other 95 percent.
  • Employees need the same fire in their bellies as their leader when it comes to change.  Hold meetings on implementing your plans and really let employees engage in the discussion.  They need to walk out saying, “I contributed something.”
  • Give employees room to create change.  They’re often busy enough; when extra assignments add stress, they’re more likely to fail.  An employer needs to ask, “What support do you need to make this project happen?  What can we take off your plate to help?  What money or access do you need?”  The leader needs the guts to say, “Spend 70 percent of your time on this project and let other things slide.”  Otherwise, change projects don’t get done.

Another way of stating the three points above is:

  • Focus on, and support those employees and colleagues who are making desired changes happen.  Others will either follow or go away… either way is fine.  Get on board or get out of the way.
  • Truly engage employees.  Allow and encourage all employees, including those on the front lines, to lead and make desired change happen.  Everyone is a leader.  Allow them to lead.
  • If desired change is truly important, realign expectations and priorities in order to make the change happen and stick.  Don’t just pile on desired change and expect it to happen… it won’t.   

Excellent food for thought and action, in my opinion.  Go for it… Create a Culture of Excellence!

Print Friendly
no comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

I am a leader, speaker, and author who is passionate about Leadership Excellence and Achieiving Greater Success. I am the author of the books Be An Inspirational Leader(2016) and Presidential Leadership (2013), and deliver keynote presentations on those topics and several others.

Featured posts

Archives

“Dan Nielsen is a gifted facilitator and inspiring presenter. He truly has a passion for leadership and for getting to the heart of the matter. He knows what it takes to motivate both individuals and groups and genuinely leads by the example he sets.”

Sharla K JonesVP, HR Learning & Development Manager, PlainsCapital Bank

__________

“Dan is the ultimate professional. He has exceptional relationship development and group facilitation skills. He is a keen observer and is able to offer accurate insights into business relationships.”

- Brenda Moon, Vice President Client Executive, MedAssets

__________

“Dan is a forward thinking leader who is optimistic, collaborative and open to change. He is trusted and respected by colleagues. His speaking style is enthusiastic, confident and engaging. You know that a successful outcome will be delivered when Dan is leading the way.”

- Rick Provencher, Director Member Solutions, Amerinet

__________

“Dan is a great communicator and inspirational speaker. His message is positive and always very motivating. I recommend Dan to help any organization optimize their employees' potential.”

- John Penhollow, Director of Corporate Accounts, Medical Action Industriesi

__________

“Dan is a gifted leader who has the extraordinary ability to develop a strategic vision and mobilize an organization to achieve it. He operates with great integrity and character. Dan completely understands business dynamics and utilizes that understanding to optimize exceptional leadership.”

- Stacy Shillan, IV Infusion & Respiratory Services, Walgreens

__________

“Dan has a passion for leadership and for providing the tools for others to become effective, insightful leaders.”

- Linda DeWolf, Founder, Travel Well

__________

More Testimonials>>