The December 2009/January 2010 issue of Inc. Magazine ran an interesting article entitled: How Does Jack LaLanne Do It? Ninety-five and going strong…
The Inc. Magazine article states, “When he opened his first health club in 1936 at 21, Jack LaLanne helped launch an industry that today brings in $19 billion annually. A tireless advocate for healthful living, LaLanne turned his passion into a string of successful ventures, including the longest-running exercise program in TV history and a chain of health clubs. Now 95, LaLanne shares the secrets of his longevity and his business success.”
My summary of LaLanne’s “secrets” as featured in the Inc. Magazine article is as follows:
- Lots of Work
- Total Personal and Professional Accountability
- Today is the Good Old Days
- Health is Wealth… No Health – No Wealth
Jack LaLanne’s summary of his “secrets” as featured in the Inc. Magazine article is as follows:
- Trust Is Everything. Tell the truth, be honest, and practice what you preach. Too many people in my industry are just in it for the money. When you’re in business, you should have only one thing on your mind, and that is helping the customer.
- Anything Successful Takes A Lot of Work. You can’t believe what I went through in starting my business. In 1936, when I opened my first gym in Oakland, I had doctors telling people, “If you start working out with Jack LaLanne, the women will start looking like men, and the old guys will die of heart attacks.” They thought I was just a dumb, musclebound guy. Now every doctor wants you to exercise and eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Whatever Happens To You, Good Or Bad, You Make It Happen. It’s all up to you. Back in 1951, a friend of mine in San Francisco told me about auditions they were having for a television show that advertised a health product. I said, “What do I know about television?” But anything in life is possible, and how do you know unless you try? I went down to L.A. and auditioned, and I ended up doing the show for 30 years. That’s how I got on television.
- Never Retire. I’m busier now than I’ve ever been. I don’t think about the money. I do it to help people. Don’t stop. You’ve got to work your mind. A lot of people talk about the good old days. The good old days are right this second.
- There Is No Wealth Like Health. The food you eat today makes you what you’ll be tomorrow. So if man makes it, don’t eat it. And if it tastes good, spit it out.
Proper perspective is extremely important in life. Jack LaLanne has excellent perspective based on ninety five years of adventure, trial and error, serving others, making a difference, having fun, successful living and leaving a positive legacy.
We would all do well to carefully watch, read, listen and learn from the life and legacy of Jack LaLanne!