Unquestionably, the United States Military is one of the top leadership training organizations in the world. Maybe the best in the world!
A recent issue of Fortune Magazine included an excellent advertisement regarding the advantages of hiring veterans. The advertisement included a listing titled, 10 Reasons to Hire Vets. After reading through the list, I realized I had just read a world-class leadership checklist for any and all leaders, in any and all organizations around the world! Every leader and every human being on the face of our planet would benefit significantly by carefully studying, modeling and monitoring their leadership focus and behavior based on this world-class leadership checklist.
Take a few minutes to carefully read the list. While reading, do a mental checkup relative to how your leadership focus and behavior compares to this world-class leadership checklist. Are you leading people within your sphere of influence to be increasingly competent in the crucial areas addressed in this list? No doubt you will join me… and each and every person who carefully and thoughtfully reads this list… in identifying plenty of opportunities for personal and professional leadership improvement. The list is as follows:
- Steep learning curve: Veterans have the proven ability to learn new skills and concepts.
- Leadership: They understand the practical ways to manage behaviors for results.
- Veterans understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one’s colleagues.
- They have learned to work side by side with individuals regardless of race, gender, and other diversities.
- Veterans have developed the capacity to perform under all types of pressure.
- Respect for procedures: Veterans know how policies and procedures enable an organization to exist.
- Because of their experiences, veterans have the technological and global savvy all enterprises need to succeed.
- Integrity, which translates into sincerity, trustworthiness, and what it means to do “an honest day’s work.”
- Thanks to extensive training, veterans are aware of health and safety protocols for themselves and others.
- In addition to dealing with issues of personal maturity, veterans have frequently triumphed over great adversity.
Are you leading people within your sphere of influence to be increasingly competent in the crucial areas addressed in this list? Learn from one of the best… if not the best leadership training organization in the world. Copy or print the list and keep it handy. Refer to it often. You and those you lead cannot help but benefit!