Fortune Magazine, September 14, 2009, featured a fascinating article, with major global opportunities and implications that clearly displays the importance and high rewards of applying the “How Successful People Think” concepts mentioned below. The Fortune article is entitled, The Best New Idea in Business. The “hook” verbiage under the title, designed to attract interest in reading the article is as follows: “Zipcar has already persuaded hundred of thousands of young urbanites to share wheels. Now the movement is going mainstream – and players like Hertz and Ford want in.”
Over the past several months, Tips for Success has examined and amplified several important concepts featured in John C. Maxwell’s book entitled, How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life. We have taken a close look at:
- Cultivate Big – Picture Thinking
- Engage in Focused Thinking
- Harness Creative Thinking
- Think Strategically
Big – picture thinking, focused thinking, creative thinking, strategic thinking… the Fortune article is a true, evolving, business success story that not only has great global potential, but also an article that clearly demonstrates how successful people think, act and execute. Consider some highlights of the story:
- The 50 year old CEO of Zipcar is one of 325,000 members who rely on the company’s handy, gassed-up cars to get around.
- Annual revenues are $130 million and the company is growing about 30% a year.
- For drivers, who already share movies via Netflix and stream music rather than buying CDs, the idea of sharing a car is the natural extension of a hip, financially smart, and environmentally conscious urban lifestyle.
- Drivers save an average of $600 per month. Car sharers report reducing their vehicle miles traveled by 44%. Surveys show CO2 emissions are being cut by up to 50% per user.
- 8,500 companies have signed up for the service, including Martin, Gap, and Nike. So have 120 colleges and universities.
- Each shared vehicle takes up to 20 cars off the road.
- Bill Ford, Ford’s Motor Company’s executive chairman is quoted as saying, “the future of transportation will be a blend of things like Zipcar, public transportation, and private car ownership. Not only do I not fear that, but I think it’s a great opportunity for us to participate in the changing nature of car ownership.”
- Perhaps the clearest indication of how big the car-sharing market could become is the entrance of rental giants such as Hertz, Enterprise, and U-Haul.
- Hertz has estimated the global market will balloon to $800 million over the next 5 years.
The Fortune article does a great job of explaining how the system works, and the brilliance of the concept and business, particularly leveraging the advances and convergence of technology and other major local and global forces now prevalent throughout our economy and society… forces which are growing in importance. The article also does a great job of explaining the attractiveness, simplicity and convenience of the concept and business, from the perspective and experience of the customer!
I recommend you read the article. It’s a fascinating story of a successful new business and a new and growing segment of the huge transportation industry. The Fortune article is also a fascinating example of the excitement, contributions and rewards of big – picture thinking, focused thinking, creative thinking, strategic thinking, and leveraging the advances and convergence of technology and other global forces prevalent throughout our national and world economy and society. The article begins on page 42.
Enjoy the read… but far more important… apply the success principles to your personal, professional and organizational life!